Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Creative Process

I have been thinking a lot about this lately. Mostly because I have been reading "Fearless Creating" by Eric Maisel with a group of fabulous artists that I met through Meetup.com at the beginning of the year. We were all interested in working through "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron and started meeting twice a month to work through her book. We have since finished that book and decided upon the Eric Maisel book to continue our journey for a more creative life. Last Sunday we discussed the first chapter, which I had a really hard time reading and relating to my creativity issues. We are meeting again tomorrow to discuss chapter two, which deals with choosing a project. I don't know if I am just the odd-man out with this subject but I just don't seem to be finding the exercises meaningful. One of the big topics in the second chapter is not discounting the difficult project ideas. Maybe it is the type of art that I do, but I never eliminate any of my ideas. Sinced I have been working on more assemblage and found art pieces, I tend to "see" the start of a piece when I find an object. It may take months before I find the right combination to actually begin a piece. But other times I can see something and know immediately where to start. I may not know much more than the start but the first step has such a strong pull that I "know" it is it right. The perfect example is a piece that I finished about two weeks ago.

This shrine began life as a capiz shell bowl I bought on clearance at Target. I actually bought three of them because I thought they would make lovely candle holders on some black bookshelves I have in my living room. It wasn't until I got them home and was removing the labels that I found that one of the labels was actually embedded in the finish of the bowl. I decided it wasn't worth the $1 or less per bowl to return them to Target but I just shoved them in a drawer and forgot about them. That is until about a month ago when I came across them and immediately had a vision of cutting the part of the bowl with the label off and using the remaining part of the bowl for a shrine. I'm sure part of my "vision" came from my recent acquisition of a Dremel tool and my discovery of all the wonderful things it can do. But anyway, the point of my story is that even when I first started this project, I had little more envisioned than a piece of a bowl on its side. The rest of the piece grew as I worked. So I don't think I ever "give up" on a project. I just haven't found the right starting inspiration. I truly hope that my enthusiasm picks of for the book. I am to be the discussion leader for chapter three, "Belligerent Commitment: Starting Your Work", which I chose because it seemed to encompass my feelings for the book at the time.

1 comment:

SALTZWORKS said...

Love to see you posting again :)

I'll go check out that book. It's hard after the Artist's Way, I just connected so well to that one.

Have fun on the path :)