Wednesday, November 7, 2007

What do you do between answering the door on Halloween?

You make jewelry, of course! Okay, maybe not everyone does but that was what I did between doling out candy to the cute and creepy trick-or-treaters prowling my neighborhood. I have been wanting to improve my beading skill of making bead dangles and I decided it was the perfect activity for when you get interrupted alot. The result of my Halloween handiwork is this Cha-Cha bracelet.

I had posted this in my gallery at ILove2Create.com and I had a request for directions....so here they are (from a newbie beader). The items I used were the following:
  • Needle-nose plier
  • Round-nose plier
  • Wire cutter
  • 7.5 inch large link chain w/clasp
  • headpins
  • pre-mixed Czech glass beads (66 grams-but I have some left over)

Since I was using a pre-sized bracelet chain, all I did was make the indivdual dangles that are on the bracelet (which, if you remember, was why I decided to make this in the first place). Each dangle is between 1/2 inch and one inch long. Each link on the bracelet has two dangles attached to it. One is longer and one is shorter. Each dangle is made by threading the desired number of beads on a headpin and then the headpin is cut and the end shaped to form the loop that allows the dangle to be attached to the chain link. For my dangles, I simply started with a larger bead directly above the head and then added additional beads, alternating colors. The tricky part to the process is forming the loop. Here are a couple of links that show the process: Bead and Button magazine and WigJig.com. I particularly like the example in the second link but since I didn't leave a neck on my headpin like they show in the example, I wanted to include both. The process is really the same. Here is another picture of my bracelet that shows it in more detail. Also, I made sure to add the two dangles that were on each link to the opposite sides of each link. I think that after making more than 50 dangles, I feel much more confident in my wireworking abilities. The unexpected benefit of this bracelet has been the soothing sound it makes. It has been compared to the sound of a rainstick.

3 comments:

Rachael said...

This is awesome!!! You go, girl!!

I bow to your beading talents!!

Trish said...

Cool bracelet!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a beader....yet, but I just love your cha cha bracelet!!! How can you not with a fun name like that. I see we are on some of the same yahoo groups together, the ArtTech. Happy to find your blog!
Cheers!