Monday, December 31, 2007

What would DaVinci Do?

I have been thinking a lot about the materials I use in my artwork. I think it is because I rediscovered my need to create through the path of scrapbooking. When I began scrapbooking over seven years ago (although, in a sense, I have been scrapbooking since I was a kid), all the talk was about archival quality. It took me a long time to let go of the need to use only acid-free products in my scrapbook. But finally I realized that I really didn't care about whether the scrapbooks outlived my great-great grandchildren. I just wanted my boys to enjoy reliving their past (and I know they do because they pulled out their books again today). Now that I am playing with every type of art material imaginable, I find myself wondering how important it is to invest in quality supplies. Did the Great Artists think about the permanence of their work when they created it? I really think that they just NEEDED to create and as they say....the rest is history. I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear you Diane. I totally think the great artists used only the best supplies they could find. I just cannot imagine DaVinci painting on a sub-standard canvas. I can't wait to see all your projects this new year.

SALTZWORKS said...

I do think you are on the right track Diane.

sf said...

Diane - Can you please email me your mailing addy/ Thanks.
sarah fishburn
sarah@sarahfishburn.com

latoga said...

I find this topic funny Diane, especially in my creative endavor of photography. I hear so many people spend so much time talking about the latest gear/products, but not about the creative aspects. I recently found this quote that I thought was appropriate:

"A person who sees, but can't paint, is not a painter; a painter is someone who creates a painting. A person who hears, but can't write music, is not a composer; a composer is one who creates music. Even so, painting is not about the manipulation of paint; composing is not about the manipulation of notes. In all arts - including photography - what counts is what a person makes, and - most importantly - what a person expresses."
- Brooks Jensen