Sunday, January 6, 2008

Seeing the world with 20/20 vision

It has now been three and a half days since I had my custom bladeless LASIK surgery and I still find myself looking around just to read things that are in the distance. I have always been a big wimp when it comes to things involving my eyes. Even when I wore contacts, I could never actually touch my eye to remove the lens. I used to use my eyelids to catch the edges of my contact lens and fold it to get it out of my eye. So the whole idea of having LASIK surgery did not sell itself to me very easily. Maybe I was swayed a bit by the Tiger Woods' advertisements for TLC, or maybe I was just realized I needed a new pair of glasses and figured out that I could have surgery for less money than it will cost me to continue buying glasses (assuming that I live an average life expectancy), after all I am still an accountant. Well, at some point last fall I decided to at least look into it and the next thing I knew, I had scheduled an appointment for the surgery. I had my surgery on January 3rd and I'm really glad that I scheduled it during the holiday/new year craziness because it took my mind off what I was about to do. Of course, life always has to throw in a curve ball as well and on New Year's Eve I started coming down with a cold. I'm not sure if I was hoping for the surgery to get cancelled or not but the doctor gave the green light so Thursday at noon I went in for my appointment. I was so nervous that I'm still amazed that I didn't chicken out but an hour later I was walking out of the surgical room relieved that it was done.

I was so impressed with all the staff at the TLC center in Madison. One of the best things for me was how Dr. Probst and the surgical staff continued to count down how much time was left for each part of the procedure. Since the surgery on each eye consists of two parts - creating the corneal flap and the laser contouring to correct the vision - it helped knowing how much time was left for each part. Creating the corneal flap takes about 30 seconds and is probably the most uncomfortable part of the procedure. There is no pain involved but it is a weird sensation of pressure on your eye. The laser contouring takes only about one minute. During my procedure, they were counting down the time in 5 to 10 second increments. Prior to the surgery, they give you a pill that is to help you relax. Even after the surgery, I couldn't help but wonder if the pill had actually worked because I still felt very tense but since I made it through, I didn't care.

Immediately after the surgery, I really wasn't aware of how my eyes felt. I think that there was just a part of me that was happy to be able to see (because they did have you look at the clock as soon as the surgery was done). I guess my first real awareness of any discomfort was just as I was leaving the office building. I did keep my eyes mostly closed but noticed that they felt very gravel-y (notice I didn't say sandy because it definitely felt more like gravel). They give you a complete regimen of three different types of eye drops and as soon as I got home, I put in the anti-inflamatory drops, Pred Forte, and the antibiotic drops, Zymar and some of the lubricating drops and took a nap. Two hours later I woke up to find that my eyes felt almost completely back to normal. I was purely amazed and ecstatic! My left eye felt totally normal and my right eye felt like I had an eyelash in it. Since then, my eyes have felt mostly normal, with the exception of when I know I've probably pushed it a bit much with being on the computer. My first follow up appointment was less than 24 hours after the surgery and I had 20/20 vision. After 30 years of wearing glasses or contact lenses, in a sense, I feel like I'm seeing the world for the first time. I am so proud of myself for actually going through with the surgery and would encourage anyone to at least see if they are a candidate. This has definitely become another "defining moment" in my life.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

So jealous of you!!!

I was evaluated back in 2000 but we then decided to buy a house, so it got put on hold!! One of these days, I guess!

Karen said...

I want to get the surgery too... one of these days :)

Congrats you your new eyes!

Unknown said...

I really want to do the surgery but such a chicken about getting it done. And it always seems someone needs braces or something. You are my hero!!!

SALTZWORKS said...

I'm so impressed with how your surgery went! DH had more of a tough time - taking weeks to get the gravel feeling gone and now he can't read up close. His procedure scared me off - yours might inspire me to try it out.