Friday, March 30, 2007

Go Where the Spirit Moves You

I've been working up an idea for a needle felted art piece and finally had some time today to dedicate to finding the focal image that I wanted. After about two hours of searching, I just didn't find what I was looking for. It is so frustrating when things just don't work. So I decided to take a tour of my studio and see what caught my eye. About a week ago, I got some new rubber stamps and one in particular has been calling to me since they came -- an image of Frida Kahlo. I have been working with Stampbord a lot lately because of my design team work at ILove2Create.com (because that is the technique for the April kit), so I decided to continue on that creative path with my inspiration, Frida Kahlo. I will be the first to admit that I know very little about my muse but I went with my gut and chose colors that seemed to resonate her Mexican heritage. Because she is seen as a cult figure to many, I also chose to give her a pair of gossamer-style wings and a crown made of rays from the sun. As I worked on my 2"x2" piece of Stampbord, I felt like she was coming to life. Unfortunately, the metallic gold of her wings does not come through on the scan of the piece. There is a small shadow box frame that is ready and waiting for her so you may see her soon on the auction block at ebay.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

This is beautiful, Diane!!!

edith turk said...

Gorgeous!! Love the way the colors blend and fade in the background...so beautiful!