Saturday, July 7, 2007

The difference a day can make

Yesterday I got results from some blood tests that I had done earlier in the week and found out that my glucose level was consistent with prediabetes. I will admit that I had my suspicions that this was a possibility but actually having it confirmed by test results really hit me hard. To help me absorb what this would mean to my life, I spent my evening working on doing some image transfers using a new technique (at least new to me). It was the last part of my ATC workshop assignment for this week and by the end of the night, I had my assignment done (one day ahead of time - Yeah!).
Here are this weeks lesson, image transfer and using fun foam. I did two image transfers by printing pictures using my Epson inkjet photoprinter. I printed the photos on some cheap photo paper that I picked up at the dollar store awhile ago. As soon as it was done printing, I placed it face down on a piece of wet watercolor paper. I brayered over the back of the photo to transfer the image. The top card shows an underwater scene that I added some acrylic paint to the bottom edge smooth the transition of the edge of the photo transfer. I also added the words "Go with the Flow" over the paint, embossing the words with clear embossing powder that contains glitter. Because the words were written in Versamark watermark ink, it is only visible at certain angles. The second image transfer photo was from Art-e-zine. I love the way it turned out and this photo transfer was the second printing from one photo. My last ATC was supposed to use fun foam to create the dimension but I happened across some chipboard letters that I thought would be perfect and used them to create "SPLASH".

Creating definitely helped me absorb my test results but waking up this morning brought news that one of my closest friend's father had passed away. I was glad to hear that she had time to go see him before but I also knew that she had been under a lot of stress with other things in her life. I spent time this afternoon working on some things for her and came away with a new appreciation for my life situation. I must say that I am very fortunate to have the life I do and I have a new gratitude even for things that I used to feel stressed about.

8 comments:

Karen said...

Hang in there Diane, I will be thinking of you.

jadadog said...

Oh Diane, I'm sorry to hear..the good news is that it can get better right? My niece has juvenile Diabetes, and that was tough. anyway, it was tricky at first, but now that she has the hang of it (what foods to avoid, portions etc), she's doing well.

Even though it was your outlet for your news, the things you created are amazing! (as always!) You definitely are an ATC artist! Wow! And I look at so many, I'm a "wannabe"!

Unknown said...

Diane you and I can share tips on what to do about it. I got the same results the beginning of the year. I was like you and knew that something wasn't right. I am not good and being careful sometimes and when I do eat something I shouldn't it really knocks me down.

I am so impressed with your image transfer techniques. Your art work is always so inspiring.

Trish said...

Diane I know how hard diabetes can be. My had it really bad and my dad has it now and I am able to control it with diet.

Love you ATC's!

SALTZWORKS said...

Diane! Those ATC's are downright gorgeous! Too bad the bad news had to be there with you as you worked through it. Although, what a beautiful way to deal with it. Good luck on controlling the prediabetes, there is so much you can do these days - good luck friend.

edith turk said...

Diane, sorry to hear about your test results...the good news is that you have the ability to CHANGE it!! I know you can do it!! I have not been officially diagnosed, but my family has a history, so I have been trying really hard lately to make a difference in my life...Do a little bit at a time--baby steps--as long as you're moving in the right direction...

Awesome ATC's!! I wish I had 1/4 of your talent!

Rachael said...

Huge hugs, Diane! I had no idea any of this was going on. I'm thinking of you!

You are definately rockin' the ATC's!! Very cool!

scrappermimi said...

I hope it all works out for you. My grandfather had type 2 and my Mom also is prediabetic so it is alway one of those thing I think about. Hopefully it will be easily treated.

Love the ATC, cool foam!