Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Learning new things

I have to say that one of the things I enjoy more than anything, is experimenting with new art techniques. When I first started with the Artist's Way group I found on Meetup.com, I really did it to focus on becoming more productive with all the different art mediums I already enjoyed. Little did I know, but this group has also given me opportunities to explore other areas of art. One of the "rules" of the group is that we schedule open studios to allow us to experiment with other creative outlets. Our most recent open studio was an art doll/image making class. Here is my final product.This is the first time I have ever attempted this type of art and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I did add some eyes to her after the class was finished but I still feel like she needs more of a face. I have some face molds for polymer clay so I'm sure I will be making a few more of these in the future.

Some of the other open studios we have had were to Play in the Mud pottery studio where we could do hand-building or wheel work, Wisconsin Center for Book and Paper Arts where we learned paper pulp painting, and a workshop on Soul Collage. The picture on the right is one the soul collage card I made at the workshop. I can honestly say that each open studio has expanded my creative toolbox. Next month we will be making mosaics, which is another thing I've always wanted to try.

Tomorrow I am heading to the Craft and Hobby Association trade show in Chicago. I am really excited to spend time with Melynda, the owner of ILove2Create.com. We will be spending the next 2 1/2 days planning for upcoming Scrapbook Society kits and website events. The monthly Scrapbook Society kits are what started me on my recent installment of my creative journey and Melynda inspires me more than I can ever say.

Before I end this, I also want to mention that two of my recent ATCs were selected to be featured on the home page of the Artists of the Round Table Yahoo Group. I have been having so much fun with the ATC workshop (based on Bernie Berlin's book) with the group and there are so many incredible artists participating that I feel truly honored to have mine on the home page. I am also really glad that this week we had a break from our "studies" because I needed a little extra time to get caught up.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Wow, it sounds like your studio classes are so much fun! I love that doll!

edith turk said...

I love your little doll, diane!! You are certainly tapping into your "creative well"!! Have a great trip to CHA!! Can't wait to see what you and Melynda cook up for the coming months!

. said...

I am jealous of your group. It sounds like you get amazing exposure to so many cool soon-to-be passions!! Your creations look really cool!

. said...

I am jealous of your group. It sounds like you get amazing exposure to so many cool soon-to-be passions!! Your creations look really cool!

SALTZWORKS said...

Awesome group Diane! After reading this, I know even more that we are kindred souls. Create on friend!