Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Doing my homework

I've had a very busy week but I did make sure to do my homework for the ZNE book club. The assignment for the week was a bit out of my comfort zone since it involved actually drawing my own picture. Not something I do much lately. It also involved me digging out some art supplies that are among the oldest I own (actually, I'm surprised that I have kept them all these years). The color on the piece is primarily oil pastels and just to let you know how old they are...they have a price of $1.75 on them. EEEEK! Can I be that old? Anyway, here is the finished piece.



This piece uses a 12 inch ceiling tile as the substrate, which was then covered with a page from an italian newspaper. After a coat of gel medium and gesso, I then drew the scene with the Vespa. Oh, how I really want a Vespa...but that is a whole other story. The original newspaper included an article with an image of a wasp type insect and while researching the history of the Vespa I found out that "vespa" is the italian word for wasp. So synchronicity was working when I decided to draw that image (which I did before learning that fact). Anyway, I had to include the quote that gave the scooter its name (located above the handlebars - next to the original wasp image). Since this assignment was outside my comfort zone, I would love to hear what you think of the piece (be gentle, although I am fine with constructive criticism).

Addendum: The quote I refer to above is the following "Sembra una vespa" ("It reminds me of a wasp!") which was said by Enrico Piaggio, the owner of the factory that designed the scooter, when he heard the buzzing sound of the engine on the second prototype. The name stuck and the rest, as they say, is history.

2 comments:

Loudlife said...

Diane -

Cute, cute, cute! I love your little Vespa sketch! I tried to read the little quote but can't quite get it into focus - what does it say?

I came here through the ZNE Network. There is a way to put this blog on your page there as a feed. I did it, although the details of how I did it are blurry. I think I just followed the directions from Feedburner and the network.

Other places to get free images:

Kat Tarra's blog every Friday:
http://alteredkat.blogspot.com/
Mel's Lazy Days blog, monthly? Occasionally?
http://melslazydayz.blogspot.com/
Gail aka Shabby Cottage Studio blog, weekly:
http://www.shabbycottagestudio.blogspot.com/

Also look on the December posts of my blog for 8 images I offered up in honor of Chanukah

Laurie

SALTZWORKS said...

You are so much better than me at freehand that I don't feel qualified for even constructive critism ;)
I love the creativity of it and the synchronicity really goes to my heart - you were meant to do it!