Thursday, January 17, 2008

ZNE Book Club

Today is the last day to finish up my first assignment for the ZNE Book Club that is working through the Karen Michel book "The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery". As usual, life got in the way of my plans and I didn't get a chance to work on any of the techniques until today. My first couple of altered photos were great learning experiences but didn't turn out anything I would want to keep. I did find a few very dark photos from the early 80s that I decided to alter using a bleaching technique.

A couple of things I learned from this process are:
  • when using sandpaper or some type of scratching tool on photos, it is important to moisten the photo so that you remove only the emulsion. Otherwise it is very easy to damage the paper of the photo itself.

  • Staz-on ink is not permanent on a photo that has been bleached prior to stamping, even though the bleach solution was neutralized by rinsing in plain water.

  • bleaching a photo will create colors ranging from a dark orange-red to yellow since the cyan ink color is the first to be removed by the bleach.


  • Vision Notes: My eyes have been doing well. Other than an occasional lubricating drop, I haven't been doing anything. Yesterday I did try to take my glasses off (which I obviously don't wear anymore) for the second time since having my LASIK surgery. It occurred to me after I did it last night, that what I was really trying to do, was shut my brain down and relax. That motion of reaching to take my glasses off had become synonymous with sleep. Without seeing the world through blurry eyes, it has become harder for me to relax and rejuvenate.

    2 comments:

    Karen said...

    I have never tried to bleach the photos... I will have to try one myself.

    A friend told me the same thing after he had lasik too... it was just too stimulating at night, he was used to his blurry world and drifted off to sleep. Glad things are going well :)

    SALTZWORKS said...

    Thinking of altering old photos - I finally bought a book on the Poloroid altering :)
    Great news on your eye progress! Well, except the relaxation stuff. Maybe you should insert an alternative 'shut down' habit? Good Luck friend.